Branch Manager at Schweitzer Brentwood
Company/organization: Springfield-Greene County Library District
Contact: Human Resources
POSITION: Branch Manager
LOCATION: Schweitzer Brentwood Branch – 2214 Brentwood Blvd – Springfield, MO
Classification: Librarian VI
Salary Track: Q
FLSA Status: Exempt
SALARY: $56,160.00 annually
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
This is a full-time position, approximately 40 hours per week, at our newly renovated Brentwood Branch. Candidates must be available to work any hours the library branch is open. As a condition of employment, work schedules may change as necessary to best provide user services and to meet the Library’s responsibility to the citizens of Greene County.
This position requires an MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited institution and five years professional, supervisory, public library experience. To be considered for this position TRANSCRIPTS MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION.
Ideal candidate will have an understanding of entrepreneurship and/or small business development.
Education and experience shall be evaluated with regard to recency and quality, as well as quantity. Based on the number and quality of applicants, applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond the minimums stated herein.
Applications may be found online at http://thelibrary.org/libjob/libjobs.cfm then follow the link provided for this Job Posting.
Complete application and submit transcript (download under the tab) through our online application process. Direct questions through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 417-616-0589 Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment
Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
Empowerment – To give someone the means or ability to do something
Respect – To treat all people with dignity
Excellence – To be the best in everything we do
Innovation – To start or provide something new
Confidence – To be certain of trustworthiness
Synergy – To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manages the daily operations of the Library Branch and is responsible for patron services, staff development, and the library facilities
- Assume responsibility for daily operations of the library branch, including building maintenance, cleaning crew, maintenance department and safety
- Coordinate all branch library services and programming in compliance with system policies and procedures, including specifically adult programming
- Prepare and submit the branch budget, and assume accountability for expenditures for programming, equipment, building maintenance, staffing, collection expansion, and technology
- Responsible for planning, using statistics, survey results, observation, and interviews to evaluate and plan for future needs
- Responsible for the supervision of staff – performing regular coaching reviews, discipline, training, scheduling, security issues, job interviews, and orientations
- Mentor and coach staff
- Inform branch personnel of changes in library policies and procedures and serves as liaison to library administration
- Prepare written branch reports and correspondence as required
- Provide high-quality service within the limits of available resources, based upon an awareness of the needs of library patrons and staff
- Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills, a strong commitment to customer service, and the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff, patrons, and the community
- Assist with formulation of Library goals, objectives, policies and procedures through participation in Administrative Staff Meetings
- Participate in collection management, evaluating statistics, supervising weeding and selection
- Responsible for maintaining positive relations with the community in the branch service area, and serves as a liaison between the library and various community organizations
- Responsible for monitoring customer service, patron behavior and filing incident reports
- Work closely with Friends of the Library and Foundation, as well as branch volunteers
- Communicate regularly with administration, staff, volunteers, patrons, and support staff
- Operate technologically advanced computer equipment, databases, and office equipment
- Responsible for speaking to organizations and groups, conducting library tours, and participating in library service promotions
- Participate on system-wide committees
- Perform other related work and undertake special projects as assigned
- Cooperate with departments to maintain LEED Certification (Schweitzer Brentwood Branch Only)
- Interpret and implement the Library’s General Conduct Policy
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, the employee must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. The employee must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: The employee’s job is interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. The employee also has a great degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individual who works in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; employee may be required to perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Library.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate ability to organize work effectively, lead and direct personnel and plan and carry out programs
- Considerable knowledge of library management, with particular emphasis on patron services and staff development
- Working knowledge of general management practices
- Basic knowledge of the public library environment
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of recent Microsoft and Google programs
- Ability to understand the Springfield-Greene County Library’s policies and procedures and apply them to Springfield-Greene County Library operations
- Ability to perform essential job functions during times of high public usage
- Extensive knowledge of ready reference tools
- Effective public speaking skills
- Ability to effectively respond to problems and complaints with library patrons and/or staff
- Thorough understanding of trends in libraries and related technologies is required
- MLS, or MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution
- Five years of professional, supervisory, public library experience is preferred
- Proficient with current computer systems; technology, including recent innovations, library functions, and current issues facing libraries, and a grasp of the evolving role of libraries today
- Collection development experience
- Experience working with a diverse group of people
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in customer service excellence
- Regular, daily, public service contact
- Works closely with other branch personnel
- Works Executive Director, Associate Director and with other branch managers
- Regular contact with all system departments
- Frequent contact with community groups
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to a height of 6 feet
- Displays good coordination and mobility
- Routine lifting and handling of library materials weighing up to 30 lbs.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time
- May require performing work at a computer terminal for extended periods
- Supervises branch staff
- Reports to the Associate Director
- Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library/office environment
- Must pass a security background check