Small Business Spotlight – October 2019: Club Management Services & HOAMS
Company Name: Club Management Services & HOAMS (Homeowner Association Management Solutions)
Person in Charge (and title): Jean Harmison, Owner
Year founded: 1997
Describe what your organization provides for its customers:
We specialize in managing nonprofit associations (professional associations and homeowner associations) that cannot afford to have their own office, staff, copy machines, technology, board meeting management, bookkeeping, conference room, event planning, etc. For a flat monthly fee, we provide all of these services. We have seven association management employees on staff. We offer continuity of services as board members transition in and out of office each year.
Give us a brief history of your business and what makes it unique:
For over 20 years, we have grown from managing one association (Sunrise Rotary) to over 35 associations all across the country. Our goal is to tailor our services to meet the needs of our clients. Technology has been a great asset!
What’s the most exciting recent highlight for your business?
In 2016, Club Management Services was named a finalist for the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce's W. Curtis Strube Small Business of the Year Award.
Where do you hope to see your business in 12 months?
(HOAMS) – My goal is to create a one-stop shop website for owners that live in a subdivision (that is run by a homeowner’s association) to have instant access to covenants, bylaws, events, easy dues payment options, etc. We want to work closely with realtors, closing companies, and vendors to make moving into a new home in a subdivision a wonderful experience.
What advice would you offer to someone starting their own small business?
- Get involved in the community and network, network, network
- Find your passion or an area where you excel (because it makes going to work much more fun)
- Find a problem and investigate solutions – Could I start a small business to solve this problem?
- You must be able to make enough revenue to cover expenses
- Pay attention to details and make sure you pay your taxes!
- Be frugal
- Understand that most owners have to work more than an eight hours a day
- Enjoy the small successes! Eventually, they lead to bigger ones!