The desire to live a less complicated and cluttered life is becoming an increasingly common goal among Americans today. More time, less stress and a better handle on “stuff” are the main objectives, along with a keen focus on being able to prioritize what’s personally important.
Clearing the decks and freeing yourself from waste is easier than you think and every bit as liberating as it sounds. Take a look at these ways to simplify your life, save time and become more productive.
More of this, less of that
The best place to start is with a humble list of what’s important to you, followed by a list of what is working and what isn’t. Identify the programs and processes that are failing or slowing you down and either get rid of them or find ways to change them to make them work for you.
Likewise, make changes to how you manage the time in your day.
1. Reduce your number of meetings and ask yourself if daily/weekly meetings are really necessary.
2. Kick the habit of constantly checking email by setting aside specific times of day to open it. Send emails late in the day to avoid instant replies and the time-consuming back-and-forth that can ensue. Finally, shorten the content. If there’s a lot to be said, pick up the phone instead.
3. Avoid multi-tasking unless you have a printer that’s designed to do it for you. Studies show humans don’t multi-task well and important things often get overlooked.
4. Actually schedule calendar time for relaxation (a walk, meditation or creative pursuit) and specific slots for focusing on work projects.
5. Start your day earlier to get a jump on organizing before the distractions start.
6. Disengage from things that are not fulfilling or helping to achieve your goals. Learning to say no is often challenging but clearing your path is the only way to get a clear handle on what you want.
7. Delegate, delegate, delegate. Rome wasn’t built in a day nor singlehandedly.
Make the complex simple
If carving out more time is your priority, take a look at what is tapping into yours. A few easy changes are sometimes all it takes, like automating to reduce repetitive tasks.
- Switch to upgraded technology that can take over your multi-tasking, letting you stay focused on more important things. Xerox multifunction printers (MFPs) combine the functions of multiple products into one machine.
- There’s an app for that. Advanced technology is also a productivity booster, especially when you add in mobile apps that give you even more freedom.
- Digitize documents and store in the cloud for better organization. Xerox Web Capture Service automates and scans documents directly into web applications such as QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Office, and Google Apps, saving the steps of creating files, renaming documents and importing them to apps.
- Manage your printer supplies and keep inventory levels under control with Xerox eConcierge Service. It helps productivity by reducing supply runs, duplication, and clutter.
Simple can also be sustainable
For most people, simplifying means adopting more eco-friendly habits. Fortunately, the two have never been more compatible. In fact, each new generation of Xerox printers offers more functionality and uses less energy, saving you time and money while reducing your carbon footprint.
Here are some other tips to keep your simple path a green one.
- Recycling your used supplies and materials saves office space and reduces clutter. You can send used toner cartridges back to Xerox through our Green World Alliance recycling program.
- Select energy-efficient equipment. Look for printers and MFPs that bear the EPA Energy Star and EPEAT labels.
- Simplify your office and go eco-friendly by consolidating older printers, faxes, and scanners into a single newer MFP.
Take these all-important first steps today to simplify your life, make your priorities a priority and find the right balance. We promise you won’t regret it.
Document Solutions of Springfield is proud to be the Xerox MFP and copier technology dealer serving southwest Missouri since 1994. With nearly 40 years of Xerox technology experience, our goal is to provide the community with the latest products, solutions, technology trends & other means of information and help your company make educated business decisions.
Our job involves helping clients answer questions and find ways to achieve success by improving efficiency, productivity, and controlling costs.
Come visit our showroom at Plaza Towers at the corner of Sunshine and Glenstone, visit our website at www.DocumentSolutionsInc.net or call us at (417) 883-2416. We’re here to help!