Reference Associate at Schweitzer Brentwood Branch
Company/organization: Springfield-Greene County Library District
Contact: Human Resources
POSITION: Reference Associate
LOCATION: Schweitzer Brentwood – 2214 Brentwood Blvd – Springfield, MO
Classification: Library Associate I
Salary Track: G
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
SALARY: $12.00 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 14, 2019
This a part time position up to 28 hours per week. Candidates must be available to work any hours the library branch is open. Schweitzer Brentwood is open Monday-Thursday 8:30-9:00, Friday-Saturday 8:30-6:00 and Sunday 1:00-5:00. As a condition of employment, work schedules may change as necessary to best provide user services and to meet the Library’s responsibility to the citizens of Greene County.
This position requires a BS/BA degree in a related field. To be considered for this position TRANSCRIPTS MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION. All candidates for employment must be at least 16 years old.
Current library employees desiring consideration must:
- have received a satisfactory performance rating on their last performance evaluation
- currently be performing their duties at a satisfactory level
- Log in to Genesis – Select Our Company > Search for Jobs > select position, view details of position, then APPLY FOR THIS JOB , a text box opens allowing you to compose a cover letter or add comments, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB again
- Use the pop up box labeled “COMMENTS ENTERED BY APPLICANT” to post a letter of interest
- If a transcript is required, please make certain these are on file.
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment
Applications may be found online at http://thelibrary.org/libjob/libjobs.cfm then follow the link provided for this Job Posting
Complete application and submit transcript (download under the RESUME tab) through our online application process. Direct questions through e-mail to email@example.com or call 417-616-0589 Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
Synergy – To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually
Empowerment – To give someone the means or ability to do something
Respect – To treat all people with dignity
Innovation – To start or provide something new
Confidence – To be certain of trustworthiness
Excellence – To be the best in everything we do
- Greet patrons and provides proactive assistance at the public service desk/phone
- Provide reader advisory service with the guidance of Reference Librarians
- Help patrons navigate the library catalog and databases
- Help patrons with general reference and tech assistance
- Routinely re-shelve reference materials
- Process materials, handles holds
- May contribute to the Library District's reference services by posting articles to the Library's blog, may assist in the upkeep of social media or other services
- Perform public speaking, programming, tours with the guidance of Reference Librarians
- Provide handoff to various other specialist when appropriate
- Assist in maintaining and merchandising the branch collection
- Promote library services, programs & offerings
- Act as PIC (Person In Charge) -will be the acting building manager as assigned handling safety and security matters as they arise
- Serve as Passport Acceptance Agent when certified, in branches where service is offered
- Interpret and implement the Library's General Conduct Policy
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, the employee must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. The employee must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: The employee’s job is interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. The employee also has a high degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individual who works in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; employee may be required to perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Library.
- Position requires a BS/BA degree in a related field
- One-year public service experience preferred
- Public library experience preferred
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Working knowledge of ready reference tools
- Computer and keyboard skills
- Knowledge and appreciation of literature
- Ability to follow extremely detailed instructions and complete tasks accurately
- Daily in-person and telephone contact with the public
- Works closely with other library personnel
- Contact with all system departments and branches
- Supervised by Reference Department Manager
- Perform bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height
- Display good coordination and mobility
- Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Primarily in-doors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment
- Must pass a security background check