Benefit Verification Specialist (Billing Office)
Company/organization: Jordan Valley Community Health Center
Contact: Kristen Backs
Jordan Valley Community Health Center has an opening for a Benefit Verification Specialist (Billing Office) for our Springfield, MO clinic.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Working knowledge of insurance companies and policies.
- 2 + years’ experience in the healthcare and/or dental field.
- The Benefit Verification Specialist is responsible for verifying the patient’s insurance coverage and benefits to enhance the Revenue Cycle and decrease denials. This position requires an extensive amount of time on the phone and computer. The Benefit Verification Specialist should have strong verbal and written communication skills and have a working knowledge of insurance companies.
- Performs pre-registration/registration processes, verifies eligibility and obtains authorizations, submits notifications and verifies authorizations for services. Supplies all needed supporting documentation needed for eligibility, benefits, and verification of coverage.
- Verifies patient’s demographics and accurately inputs this information in the electronic medical record, including documenting the account thoroughly in order to maximize reimbursement and minimize denials/penalties from the payer(s). Updates insurance information in patient chart.
- Obtains any federal/state required information and all consents and documentation required by the patient insurance plan(s). Must be able to consistently meet monthly individual accuracy goal as determined by management.
- Verifies and understands insurance benefits, documents patient responsibility based on estimates at the time of pre-registration and documents this thoroughly for the registration staff.
- Explains organizations financial policies and provides information along with providing a referral to the financial counselors to patients and their families.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, the billing department, vendors, the clinic departments, and the payer(s) to enhance account receivables performance.
- Verifies and notifies patient/guarantor during pre-registration of co-pays and any patient due balance along resolving any outstanding issues and/or patient concerns maximizing service excellence.
- Consistently meets monthly individual productivity goals as determined by management. Completes daily assignments/work lists, keeps electronic productivity log up to date and inputs information accurately. Identifies any opportunities to improve processes and best practices and great teamwork.
- Communicates with all facets of the organization to facilitate the financial obligations of the patient to provide high quality care.
- Provides a variety of patient services and financial services tasks. May be assigned functions such as hosting, may precept new hire employees, high phone volume, and/or conducting other work assignments of the Revenue Cycle Team.
- Provides excellent customer service on the telephone, in person, and written inquiries.
- Conducts follow up on assigned pending authorization requests following the process and procedure developed by management.
- Ability to utilize online insurance portals to obtain supplemental benefit information.
- Promotes effective working relations and work effectively as part of a team to facilitate the Clinic’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Attains all agreed to goals and objectives within specified time frames, as part of the Clinic’s overall mission.
- Responsibly follows the Clinic Exposure Control Plans/Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- All other duties as assigned.
Apply online at www.jordanvalley.org/careers