Magazine Projects and Production Editor
Company/organization: 417 Magazine
Contact: Megan Johnson
The Projects and Production Editor manages special in-house projects and contests for the 417 brand, plans and edits custom publications for clients, and leads production editing for both branded and custom publications.
- Spearhead all editorial contests and special projects in conjunction with the marketing and art departments according to contest guidelines and timelines.
- Develop and maintain trusting relationships with all custom publishing clients by serving as their one point of contact. Own the client experience with a delicate balance of charisma and assertiveness while always making them feel appreciated for being a part of our 417 family. Discuss custom publication content and art ideas, issue planning and other project details with client.
- Complete and finalize an editorial lineup and art plan for each custom publication issue.
- Write the editorial content, complete story assignment letters (including deadline, focus, tone, content directions, sidebar instructions, web push instructions, art instructions and sourcing leads) and secure in-house or freelance writers.
- Top edit submitted custom publishing copy. Work with writers on revisions. Work with the Advertising Designer and/or freelance designer to execute art plans.
- Lead production editing for custom publications and assist production editing for all 417 publications (417 Magazine, 417 Home, 417 Bride and Biz 417).
- Prepare final custom publication pages for print by approving editorial and art revisions.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Journalism, or equivalent experience and education
- 1–3 years work experience (fantastic internship experience counts)
Skills and Strengths:
- Exceptional time-management, problem solving, planning, organizational and administrative skills.
- Relationship driven with strong communication skills. Solid working relationship with (and the respect of) the clients and internal teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that strike a balance of highly assertive and super charismatic
- Passion for creating content and art plans
- An interest in research and data journalism
- Bright, conversational writing style
- Creative thinking, ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas
- Intrinsic motivation to work independently yet still be a team player
- Comfort with following direction and receiving feedback as required
- Management of a workload with multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Ability to work quickly and pivot quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Oh—and last but not least, a passion for excellence
Benefits and #417culture:
- Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
- Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
- Did we mention we have fun and wellness committees?
- We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement
Evaluations and Outcomes:
- The position will be evaluated after 90 days with quarterly reviews.
- Mainly sedentary in an office environment, except when out on assignment
- May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds during occasional photo shoots
- Flexible in working extended hours
Get to know #417culture and the work we do here.
We’re 417, a life-enrichment company in Springfield, Missouri, serving more than 325,362 audience members monthly across our titles of 417 Magazine, Biz 417, 417 Home and 417 Bride. In addition, we have robust digital properties to support each title, produce award-winning publications and have a custom publishing division, a ticketing platform and an event-planning division. While we're at it, we host parties and events for movers, shakers and everyone in between.
We’ve been doing this gig for 20 years, but there’s even more to come—we promise. Want to be part of it?