Substitute Library Assistant
Company/organization: Springfield-Greene County Library District
Contact: Human Resources
POSITION: Substitute Library Assistant
LOCATION: Springfield-Greene County Library District
Classification: Library Assistant III
Salary Track: E
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SALARY: $10.00 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
This is a part-time position, approximately 24 hours per week. Candidates must be available to work any hours the library branch is open. This position will require work in any of the library branches and departments. As a condition of employment, work schedules may change as necessary to best provide user services and to meet the Library’s responsibility to the citizens of Greene County.
This position requires a minimum of 60 hours college credit. To be considered for this position TRANSCRIPTS MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION. All candidates for employment must be at least 16 years old.
Education and experience shall be evaluated with regard to recency and quality, as well as quantity. Based on the number and quality of applicants, applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond the minimums stated herein.
Current library employees desiring consideration must:
- have received a satisfactory performance rating on their last performance evaluation
- currently be performing their duties at a satisfactory level
- Log in to Genesis – Select Our Company > Search for Jobs > select position, view details of position, then APPLY FOR THIS JOB , a text box opens allowing you to compose a cover letter or add comments, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB again
- Use the pop up box labeled “COMMENTS ENTERED BY APPLICANT” to post a letter of interest
- If a transcript is required, please make certain these are on file.
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment
Applications may be found online at http://thelibrary.org/libjob/libjobs.cfm then follow the link provided for this Job Posting
Complete application and submit transcript (download under the RESUME tab) through our online application process. Direct questions through e-mail to email@example.com or call 417-616-0589 Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
Synergy – To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually
Empowerment – To give someone the means or ability to do something
Respect – To treat all people with dignity
Innovation – To start or provide something new
Confidence – To be certain of trustworthiness
Excellence – To be the best in everything we do
- Work on an on-call basis as needed, travels to all branches in Greene County as needed
- Routinely check for schedule requests
- Respond promptly to schedule requests
- May work in any public service department in any branch as needed
- Routinely check-in, checks-out, and renew library materials
- Issue and renew library cards
- Assist patrons with library card registration and voter registration
- Assist patrons with reader's advisory, information and location of library materials
- Assist and instructs patrons in the use of patron access to computers, copy machines, and other electronic resources and reference materials
- Collect overdue fines, book deposits and other fees, and issues receipts
- Routine filing and reshelving
- Routine keyboard work, computer and typing
- Routine telephone communication with public and other branches or departments
- Light copy machine maintenance
- Interpret and implement the Library’s General Conduct Policy
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, the employee must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. The employee must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: The employee’s job is interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. The employee also has a high degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individual who works in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; employee may be required to perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Library.
- Minimum of 60 college credit hours
- Public service experience
- Library experience is preferred
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Ability to interact pleasantly, constructively, and cooperatively with library patrons and staff
- Basic knowledge of computer and keyboard skills, ability to type 35 wpm
- Good communicative skills, oral and written
- Basic knowledge of circulation, reference, and library functions
- Routine clerical and filing skills
- Regular, daily public service contact
- Works closely with other branch personnel
- Routine telephone contact with other branches and departments
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height
- Displays good coordination and mobility
- Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Supervised by Human Resources Director
- Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment
- Must pass a security background check