Circulation Assistant at The Library Station
Company/organization: Springfield-Greene County Library District
Contact: Human Resources
POSITION: Circulation Assistant
LOCATION: The Library Station – 2535 N Kansas Expressway – Springfield, MO
Classification: Library Assistant I
Salary Track: C
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
SALARY: $9.00 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 14, 2019
This is a part-time position, approximately 20 hours per week at The Library Station. Candidates must be available to work any hours the library branch is open. Ideal candidate will have morning and afternoon availability and some weekend availability. As a condition of employment, work schedules may change as necessary to best provide user services and to meet the Library’s responsibility to the citizens of Greene County.
This position requires a high school diploma or completion of a high school equivalent program such as a GED or current enrollment in high school or high school equivalency program. All candidates for employment must be at least 16 years old.
Education and experience shall be evaluated with regard to recency and quality, as well as quantity. Based on the number and quality of applicants, applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond the minimums stated herein.
Current library employees desiring consideration must:
- have received a satisfactory performance rating on their last performance evaluation
- currently be performing their duties at a satisfactory level
- Log in to Genesis – Select Our Company > Search for Jobs > select position, view details of position, then APPLY FOR THIS JOB , a text box opens allowing you to compose a cover letter or add comments, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB again
- Use the pop up box labeled “COMMENTS ENTERED BY APPLICANT” to post a letter of interest
- If a transcript is required, please make certain these are on file.
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment
Applications may be found online at http://thelibrary.org/libjob/libjobs.cfm then follow the link provided for this Job Posting
Complete application and submit transcript (download under the RESUME tab) through our online application process. Direct questions through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 417-616-0589 Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
Synergy – To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually
Empowerment – To give someone the means or ability to do something
Respect – To treat all people with dignity
Innovation – To start or provide something new
Confidence – To be certain of trustworthiness
Excellence – To be the best in everything we do
- Routinely check-in, check-out and renew library materials
- Register patrons for library cards, voter registration and other library functions
- Assist patrons with directional information
- Collect overdue fines, book deposits and other fees, makes change, and issues receipts
- Routine computer searches, data entry
- High volume telephone communication with public
- Operate multi-line telephone switchboard and intercom answering and directing calls
- Routine filing and shelving
- Check-in newspapers, magazines and sort branch mail
- Light copy machine maintenance
- Daily deposits of moneys collected by branch
- Ability to interact pleasantly, constructively, and cooperatively with library patrons and staff
- Perform all duties in a pleasant, constructive and cooperative manner
- Handle departmental problems in absence of supervisor
- Assist with other related departmental duties as assigned
- Assist other departments as needed
- Perform essential functions during high patron volume
- Interpret and implement the Library’s General Conduct Policy
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, the employee must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. The employee must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: The employee’s job is interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. The employee also has a great degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individual who works in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; employee may be required to perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Library.
- High school diploma or equivalent or currently enrolled in high school or high school equivalency program
- Public service experience
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Excellent communications skills, oral and written
- Ability to effectively listen to and respond to patron inquiries
- Ability to perform essential job functions during times of high public usage
- Basic knowledge of circulation and library functions
- Computer and keyboard skills
- Regular, daily public contact
- Works closely with other department personnel
- Routine telephone contact with other departments and branches
- Occasional work with other branch departments
- Supervised by Circulation Department Manager
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height
- Displays good coordination and mobility
- Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Uninterrupted standing and walking for lengthy periods
- Primarily indoors, with heating and cooling regulated, in a general library environment
- Must pass a security background check