Chief of Behavioral Health
Company/organization: Greene County
Contact: Michelle Jincks
Purpose of Position
- The purpose of this position is to assess, refer and arrange treatment services for jail inmates; coordinate mental health services; and train jail staff members regarding inmate mental health screening. The work is performed under the direction of a Corrections Division Captain.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assess inmates’ mental health status and potential for self-harm. Prepare written reports on each inmate.
- Oversees and directs staff psychologist(s), Licensed Practical Counselor(s), interns, students and other mental health staff.
- Coordinate and conduct pre-employment evaluations.
- Direct jail staff regarding difficult inmates.
- Develop, oversee and maintain comprehensive inmate mental health program.
- Rotate on an on-call schedule with other jail psychologist(s).
- Develop and coordinate Peer Support Program/Peer Support Services.
- Coordinate and/or provide critical incident response.
- Conduct court ordered evaluations.
- Develop and conduct training for correctional staff.
- Recommend policy and procedures dealing with mental health issues.
- Approve special housing assignments for inmates with mental health problems.
- Coordinate services with mental health agencies. Coordinate referrals and community assistance program.
- Maintain a suicide prevention and intervention program.
- Provide counseling services.
- Participate in ongoing training.
- Develop employee assistance program.
- Conduct ongoing research. Compile and analyze statistics.
- Consult with other correctional agencies.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and enrolled in a doctoral program, two years of professional clinical experience (Psychiatric in-patient and/or out-patient) at the Master’s level or above, and in pursuit of state licensure and certification. A Ph.D. or Psy.D. in clinical Psychology, completion of at least one year clinical internship training, and licensed to practice psychology is preferred.
Please visit the Greene County website for a complete job description.